Monday, January 19, 2009

Weekend Update (Strawberry Spinach Salad)

We had a GREAT weekend! First of all, it was freezing cold on Friday. All I wanted to do was stay in my sweats and wrap up in a blanket. We did go eat lunch with Bo and Sophie at school. Cooper (nephew) and Reed ate the Lunchroom Pizza and they loved it! I wish I would have gotten a picture of their faces because they did get messy.

Friday night was Family night. We got "take out" for dinner and did puzzles. Here is a clip from the first part of our night when Reed and Sophie were working on their puzzles.


First of all, I would like to apologize on Michael's behalf. He didn't know I was recording, otherwise, I am sure he would have put the sandwich down. Secondly, it was a spur of the moment decision to video this puzzle time, so I just used my digital camera. Sorry for the poor quality. Lastly, in the background you can hear Sophie talking on the phone to Cheyenne. I think it's hilarious that Sophie's response to Cheyenne telling her she didn't like to do puzzles is "Well, you're just missing out on all the fun." We had a great time working on puzzles and just being together for a night at home.

Saturday started off with basketball games. Bo and Sophie both "unofficially" won their games. I am really enjoying coaching Sophie's team with Lee. Michael is helping Brandon coach Bo and Russ' team.

Saturday night was a special treat. We went to David and Carol's (Michael's coworkers and friends) house for dinner. They made a fantastic meal for us. Carol even made my favorite Strawberry Spinach salad. It was my recipe that I had giving her around Thanksgiving. Somehow it is just better when you don't have to make it yourself. (See recipe below) After dinner we went downstairs to their amazing media room and watched Iron Man. We all had a great evening, but Sophie left feeling like a queen. Carol gave Sophie so much girl time and attention. They didn't watch the movie with us, they just talked the whole night. Carol said we wouldn't believe some of the things Sophie told her. I can only imagine!

I woke up Sunday morning at 8:00 to Sophie tapping me on the shoulder. After she realized she had successfully woken me up, she asked if we could invite David and Carol over for dinner that night. I regretfully told her no because we had a busy day ahead. A little while later, I heard Reed calling me from the monitor. When I went to get him, he told me there was a monster in his closet. We had to go check the closet to make sure. We made it to church, then we all went our separate ways. Michael and Bo headed over to baseball practice. Sophie and Reed went to Nana and Grandaddy's. And I went to my tennis match. I played with Lee again and we won! I love playing tennis, but it's so much more fun when you win! After tennis and baseball, we all met back up at Nana and Grandaddy's for Angela's (Sister in Law) birthday dinner. Angela is pregnant with her first child and I can't wait. Hopefully she will start feeling better soon. She is just about a month pregnant and she is already pretty miserable.

When we got home, Sophie went strait to bed. She was exhausted from our wonderful weekend! Bo helped get Reed settled down by reading him some books. Every time Reed went to his room to get another book, he watched Bo the whole time saying "you stay there, I'll be right back." Reed was so afraid Bo was going to stop reading him books. Bo was so patient and sweet and read to Reed as long as he kept bringing the books. I have to believe that these are the best days of my life!


Strawberry Spinach Salad
(EVERYBODY asks for this recipe after they have tried it.)

1 pt. strawberries
2 oz sliced almonds
2 Tbs. sesame seeds
1 bag baby spinach (stems picked off)

For Dressing: ( I usually heat this for about 30 seconds in the microwave to dissolve the sugar. Then I will refrigerate it overnight before I serve it. If I don’t have time to chill it overnight, then I don’t heat it and just make sure I shake it REALLY good before tossing it into the salad.)
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp. paprika
½ cup canola oil
¼ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup cider vinegar

Slice strawberries and set aside. Toast almonds and sesame seeds for about 5 minutes in 350 degree oven and set aside.

Just before serving, toss in strawberries, almonds, sesame seeds, and dressing (shake well).

5 comments:

Amy said...

Glad you had a fun weekend. I love family game nights!

Anonymous said...

I can't get past Michael chomping on that sandwich... ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

"turn it, chomp, turn it, turn it, chomp..."

angism said...

How fun!! Yes, enjoy these days, because they fly by so quickly!! Congrats on your win:) Also, I loved it when Sophie told her friend to hold on by speaking into the wrong end of the phone!!

Allison Hooks said...

Thanks so much for the salad recipe; I love this one too! Also, send my congrats to Daniel and Angela. How exciting to add one more to the Stallings clan!