Monday, January 26, 2009

Busy Week Ahead (Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad)

We had a good weekend, full of sports. Sophie had a basketball game, I had a tennis match, and Bo had a basketball game and 3 baseball practices. Sophie is trying to decide what she is going to do this Spring. She wants to play everything from soccer to softball, now she is even thinking about tennis.
This week is going to be so busy. There's something everyday of the week. Here's a rundown of the activities on our calendar:
Sophie - basketball practice, dance lesson, basketball game, birthday party
Bo - basketball practice, 4-5 baseball practices, basketball game
Me - bunko, Mom's taxi, tennis, basketball coach
Michael - 2 flag football games, coach for baseball and basketball
Reed - bless his heart, he's just along for the ride... He does get to go to a birthday party though!
We will all be watching the Super Bowl with my whole family on Sunday. I love Super Bowl Sunday because I get to see aunts, uncles and cousins that I don't usually get to spend a lot of time with.

I am still on my cleanse. Today is day 8. Only 4 more days to go. I am feeling so good right now. This morning, I got out of bed and got the kids off to school and got to work cleaning the house from this weekend's rush of activities. Usually, I go strait to the recliner and watch the news and drink my coffee. I love having this extra energy that comes with being healthy. For 7 of the 11 days of my cleanse, I am replacing 2 meals with protein shakes then having 1 healthy meal, between 400 - 600 calories. I have totally cut out all of the sugar and believe it or not, I am not drinking any coffee. One of my favorite low fat, great tasting meals is Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad. I found this recipe on-line and I make it every time I do a cleanse. I also make it a lot in the summer time because it is so light. Here's the recipe:


Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup sesame seeds
½ cup roasted sliced almonds
2 (16 ounce) packages bow tie pasta
½ cup canola oil
2/3 cup light soy sauce
2/3 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast meat
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup chopped green onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
2/3 cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
DIRECTIONS
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sesame seeds, and cook stirring frequently until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain pasta, and rinse under cold water until cool. Transfer to a large bowl.
In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine vegetable oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, sesame seeds, ginger, and pepper. Shake well.
Pour sesame dressing over pasta, and toss to coat evenly. Gently mix in chicken, cilantro, celery, tomatoes, bell pepper and green onions.

1 comment:

angism said...

Congrats on making it so far in your cleanse. You are better than me:) I couldn't do it!! I love your Sesame Chicken Pasta, though I haven't tried making it yet. I don't usually do so well with recipes with over 5 or so ingredients:)