Friday, April 3, 2009

Here and There (Pan Sauteed Chicken and Vegetables)

Good Times!

Last weekend, Tiffany's kids spent the night with us! It was a cool rainy night and I made a big pot of Chili. The kids play so well together. When it's time for bed, I make a big pallet (sp?) on the floor, start popping the popcorn, fix the drinks and put in the movie. Usually this settles everyone down until they fall asleep watching the movie. This week they watched The Gameplan. When I came in to check on them at 12:00, Cooper the 3 yr old in the red pjs, was the only kid still awake.

On Saturday night the kids went to stay with Mom and Dad while Michael and I went to a Birthday Party for my cousin Wayne... at Stars and Strikes. Normally when you think of Stars and Strikes, you think of kids' parties, but Wayne just turned 36. None of us brought our kids and it was so much fun. I bowled the best game of my life! I bowled 2 strikes in a row and on my next turn I almost got another strike, I just left one pin standing. Now, I am not a bowler by any means, so this was huge, HUGE for me! Here's a picture of Michael and me on our way out the door. What a fun night!


Back to the kitchen, I have been trying to incorporate more vegetables into my cooking lately. I don't think my kids are getting enough vegetables because they don't really serve green beans or carrots at Zaxby's or Chick Fil A. This is a new favorite recipe for me, although the kids didn't really get into the carrots. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but this is what it looks like before you cook it in the oven. It was delicious!
Pan Sauteed Chicken and Vegetables
I got most of this recipe off of the back of the Swanson Chicken Stock container. I just changed it around to suit my tastes.

5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs. all purpose flour
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, cut into thick slices
1 lb. baby new potatoes, cut into quarters
5 medium carrots cut into thick slices
5 cloves of garlic
1 - 2 cups Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Put flour in a large baggie and then add the chicken. Shake the bag to completely coat the chicken with flour.

Heat oil in large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until well browned on both sides. Remove chicken.

Add onions and potatoes. Cook 5 min. Add carrots, garlic cloves and chicken stock, scraping down the bottom. Heat to a boil and return chicken to skillet and cover.

Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.

No comments: