Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tag, your it! (Brown Sugar Bars)

I've been tagged twice by Tiffany and Angie! I'm always up for a good game of tag!

So, here's what you do:

1. Go to your 4th folder where you store your photos.

2. Select the 4th photo (no exceptions).

3. Post the picture with an explanation.

4. Tag 4 people to do the same.

5. I tagged Allison, Flo, Jill and Julie

The 4th photo in my 4th folder was this picture of Sophie in Oct 2005, asleep in the car. She sleeps just like I do, with her mouth wide open:)



Speaking of Sophie, my poor baby is sick again today. She has strep throat AGAIN! I can't remember how many times this is, but it's a lot! We are going to visit the ENT soon, I hope she doesn't have to have her tonsils removed, but if it will help we are definitely going to do it. Anyone have any recommendations for a good ENT?

Also, speaking of tonsils, did you know your tonsils can grow back? I had strep throat around Christmas and I went to a "minute clinic" type place to get a prescription and the Dr said I may have to have my tonsils removed again. Yesterday, at Sophie's dr appt, I asked if tonsils can grow back and the answer was yes. Very interesting...

So here's Sophie, at home with me today. She is full of energy and bouncing off the walls! I couldn't send her back to school today because she is still contagious. . .Although, she was probably just as contagious yesterday when she called me from the school complaining of a sore throat. Poor baby, I didn't go get her because I didn't really think she was that sick. I thought she was just wanting to come home:( She called me on Monday, from the nurse's office because she bumped her head on the table at school. Then on Friday of last week, she called me from my Mom's office (Mom is the book-keeper at my kids' school! Awesome for me!) saying she had a tummy ache. So, when she called me yesterday, I just put my foot down and said, "Just try to stay at school and if you aren't feeling better after lunch, you can call me." I decided to go ahead and make a dr appt for her after school because Cooper, my nephew, had strep throat and Sophie was around him all day on Sunday. Sure as the world, she had it and I am holding the title, "Worse Mom in the World!"

I did hyave some fun in the kitchen some this weekend! We had a home tennis match and I made some Ham/Cheddar wraps. These are perfect for tennis, because they are easy to transport and easy to eat. They were really good too. You just lay out a flour tortilla, spread a small amount of mayonnaise on it, layer it with good deli ham, lettuce shreds, and some shredded cheddar. There are tons of other stuff you can add to it also, but for a crowd, I try to keep it simple. Then you just roll it up. Depending on the size of the tortillas, you can cut them in half or leave them whole. Then I wrap each one in plastic wrap so they stay fresh. I also bought some Hebrew National "pigs in a blanket" from the freezer section at Publix. They were delicious and very low maintenance.

For the Super Bowl party, I made Brown Sugar Bars. I wanted something pretty simple to make and something I could make on Saturday, because Sunday's schedule was going to be tight. Here's that recipe:

Brown Sugar Bars

I wish I had taken a picture because they are really fancy looking with the almonds on top.

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 (12 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds, roasted

Beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture beating until blended.

Press dough into an ungreased 15x10 in jelly roll pan with lightly floured fingertips.

Bake at 350 for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden. Place pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over warm cookie. Let stand 5 minutes; spread chocolate chips evenly over top. Sprinkle evenly with almonds. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Make about 3 dozen.

3 comments:

angism said...

Love the picture of Sophie!!! I'm looking forward to trying the recipe - they sound yummy:)

Amy said...

I have a recommendation for a really good ENT...www.childrensent.com.

We used Dr. Verlia Gower for Allie's tubes...a while back.

Hope Sophie feels better soon!

Janell said...

we used dr. shapiro in d-ville for drew. he's old as the hills but very good!

hope she feels better soon!