Friday, February 6, 2009

Baby it's cold outside! (Sausage & Rice Stew)

We've been freezing here! I can't believe how cold it's been. If it's going to be this cold, we should at least get some snow. I made Sausage & Rice Stew on Wednesday and it was yummy, perfect for a cold night! Here's the recipe:

Sausage & Rice Stew
1 pkg (16 oz) smoked turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 lg sweet onion chopped
3 lg garlic cloves minced
1 Tb canola oil
2 cups water
1 can (14 1/2 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cans white kidney beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups fresh baby spinach

In a dutch oven, saute the kielbasa, onion, and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add the water, broth beans, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in spinach *. Cook 5 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.

(*I'll admit that I didn't add the spinach for the whole family. I only added about a handful of the spinach to my bowl. I knew the kids and Michael wouldn't go for it.)

We have yet another busy sports weekend coming up. Bo played basketball last night, Sophie will play tonight. They both have basketball games tomorrow. Bo also has baseball practice tomorrow and I get to go to a baby shower for my girlfriend Janell. I decided I would sit out a week of tennis so I could go to Bo's first scrimmage game on Sunday. I think Bo's team is really good so I can't wait to see how they stack up against the other teams he will be playing.

2 comments:

Flo said...

Have fun this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Coach. Wish I could be there after that great performance we had last night!